If your home becomes water damaged, it is important to clean it up quickly and thoroughly to prevent additional damage to your home and potential health issues for your family. The quicker you take care of the water damage in your home, the better your chances of minimizing damage. If water problems are not appropriately dealt with in a timely manner, it can lead to complications such as mold, rot, and permanent damage to your home’s structural integrity.
There are many instances where water damage can occur. They can be anything from broken pipes, cracks in the foundation or exterior wall space, appliances or sinks overflowing, improperly sealed toilets/showers, exterior leaks, and natural disasters including storms, flooding, or weather. No matter what the cause of water damage is, it is vital to act quickly to start the drying process and get rid of all water from your home. You must initiate the drying out process immediately by opening doors and windows, turning off all the water sources if necessary as well as gas and electricity to prevent the occurrence of catastrophic events.
- Disconnect any power source
The faster you get these items out of the water, the more likely you’d be able to save them. Try to move all electrical appliances first, and if you can, turn off the power source that leads to the afflicted area, especially if water rises above the electrical outlets. Make sure you pull up any carpets and underpadding. You may be able to save the carpet if you get it cleaned and disinfected.
- Get rid of the water
There are several ways you can use to get rid of the water. If you do not have power, or you are bothered about loose wires, then the manual way will work. Use of old towels, buckets and mops to soak up all the water as possible. Depending on where the water came from and the sewers in your neighborhood are not backed up, you may be able to empty the water down the drain, or pour it into your lawn. You can also use a wet/dry vacuum. Make sure that you are very careful to plug it into outlets that are far away from water. Do not use an extension cord as the connection could also short-circuit and give you an awful shock. As we all know, water and electrical power never go together so if you have power, consider getting a sump pump from any local Rental or hardware stores. Getting rid of all water and drying out the area is the major thing that you can do to prevent mold growth.
- Dry out the affected area
As soon as you have mopped up all water, use fans and a dehumidifier to assist you in drying up the area. If it stops raining, you can open windows to allow for the air to circulate which will speed up the drying process. You should dry the area out as quickly as possible. If the drywall was affected too then, you will probably have to cut away the areas that were affected by water as thе drywall will сrumblе and the рареr backing iѕ a gооd source of food for the mold. In case you have baseboard trim, take it up first. If it is made from pressboard, it will likely not be saved. If it was wood, then you might be able to save it.
Hiring a professional to dry up the water and also evaporate any moisture in your house is a major step to avoid damage and harmful effects such as mold and mildew growth. Qualified/Well-Experienced water damage clean up professionals have thorough training on how you can remove mold and other harmful pollutants from your home as these in many cases are present in homes after water damage occurs. Getting rid of the contaminants from your home is essential to saving your properties and repairing the damage. Make sure that you hire an expert and discuss what type of job is going to be done before making any agreements.
A Flood in your home is very devastating, unpredictable and costly. In a water damage situation, it is important to act quickly to dry up water and protect your home and properties from further harm. The very first thing you should do is call an expert. Always follow up with the professional service to make sure that no harmful after effects including mold and mildew happens, which are detrimental to your health.